Faculty of Economics University of Padang (FE UNP) is an expansion from Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences UNP. Faculty of Economics was established by Decree of Rector UNP No. 05 / J4 / KP / 2005 on 2 January 2005 about the opening of Faculty of Economics with 4 undergraduate programs, namely, Economics Education, Management, Accounting, and Economics and a master program, namely Magister of Management. The Rector's Decree was issued with the approval of the Directorate General of Higher Education, Department of National Education, through the Higher Education Decree number 2816/D/T/2004 on 22 July 2004.
Despite being the youngest faculty, the founding of the Faculty of Economics can not be separated from the history of the University itself. Padang State University (UNP) is the result of the conversion of Padang Teachers' Training College into a university, which was originally named Institute of Teaching and Education Sciences (Institut Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan—IKIP ). Since its establishment on 1 September 1954, the University has undergone many changes. It used to be PTPG Batusangkar with, originaly, six departments, namely, the Indonesian Department, Department of History, English Department, Department of Economics, Department of Science, and the Department of Biology. However, many students of the first batch PTPG moved to Bandung and Malang due to unavailability of lectures. As a result, very few students remained. Therefore, the departments, that originally numbered six, were reduced to four majors, the Indonesian Department, Department of History, Department of Economics and Department of Mathematics.
In 1956 PTPG throughout Indonesia was integrated into local university. Although the integration lead to a change of status, the PTPG Batusangkar was integrated into the Faculty of Teaching and Education Science (FKIP) of Andalas University (Unand), in Bukittinggi. After stalled until early 1958, the FKIP Unand was reactivated on 10 June 1958 and on 1 September in the same year its location was moved from Batusangkar to Padang. It was only after 1958, FKIP Unand developed steadily.
In 1961, all B1 courses across West Sumatra integrated into FKIP, namely, B1 English, B1 History, B1 Indonesian, B1 Natural Science, B1 Commerce, and B1 Performing Arts courses in Padang. The developments continued with the opening of new departments, namely, Department of Counselor Education, Department of Natural Sciences, Department of Social Education, and the Department of Fine Arts. Almost all new majors were to develop Bachelor programs. During this period, a new Department of Law and Economics Department/Cooperative who pioneered the development of courses.
In 1964, Guidance and Counseling Andalas Padang regardless of Andalas University Teachers' Training College and became Jakarta Branch Padang. By organizing department majors, comes the four faculties, namely the Faculty of Education (FIP), Faculty of Science Teaching exact sciences (FKIE), Teacher Training Faculty of Social Sciences (FKPS), and the Faculty of Arts Literature Teaching (FKSS).
Starting on August 7, 1965, by the Decree of the Minister of Higher Education and Science (PTIP) No. 351/1965, Teachers Training College Padang was granted an autonomy status as a separate higher education institution. The Institute is comprised of five faculty have 14 majors, namely (a) FIP with the Department of Science Teaching and Social Education Department, (b) FKPS with the Department of History / Anthropology, Department of Economics / Cooperative, and the Department of Civics / Law, (c) FKIE with the Department of Science, Department of Life Sciences, Department of Natural Sciences, and the Department of Chemistry (d) FKSS with Indonesian Language and Literature Department, Department of English Language and Literature, and Fine Arts Department, and (e) FKT with the Department of Engineering, Department of Civil , and the Department of Architecture. In May 1966, the location of the Teachers Training College Padang was moved to Air Tawar.
Department of Economics, which is the oldest study program established by the Minister of Education and Culture No. 38 742/ Kab./1954 on 1 September 1954. Furthermore, based on the Director General of Higher Education Decree No.1499/D/1996 on 20 June 1996, which is then reinforced by Presidential Decree 93 on 4 August 1999, Teachers Training College Padang received a mandate expansion (wider mandate), so Teachers Training College turned into Padang State University (UNP), the Department of Economics can also open non-teacher training courses. Management Program was established by the Minister of Education and Culture, No. 203/Higher/1999 on 6 May 1999, and was followed by the opening of Economics and Accounting Program by the Minister of Education and Culture, No. 2542/D/T/2001 on 2 August 2001.
To meet the continuing education needs of the public, Faculty of Economics also opened three postgraduate programs, namely, Magister of Management, Master in Economics and Master in Economics Education. Magister of Management was established by the Decree of the Directorate General of Higher Education number 2596/D/T/2001 on 6 August 2001. Master of Economics obtained a permit for its opening from the Directorate General of Higher Education with the Decree No. 843/D/T/2008 on 13 March 2008. The Master of Economics Education based on the Decree of the Directorate General of Higher Education No. 210/E/O/2012 on 5 June 2012.
Faculty of Economics also develops another level of education with the opening vocational education programs (Diploma) in 2009. Two sub-programs are offered, namely Accounting and Trade Management based on the Decree of the Directorate General of Higher Education number 987/D/T/2009 dated 18 June 2009.
In addition, the operation of the Faculty of Economics is also supported by several support units, namely Computer Laboratory, Administration and Office Laboratory, Management and Indonesian Stock Exchange Laboratory, SME Center, Tax Center, Internal Quality Assurance Unit, Center for Teacher Education (PPG), Accountancy Education Center (PPA), and Business Simulation Laboratory.
Over time, the Faculty of Economics continues to develop into a great and competitive faculty, both nationally and globally. Based on data from the academic year 2014/2015, the number of students of the Faculty of Economics UNP is 3,374 students in 9 programs, with 82 lecturers.